This article or section is related to the sequel to the original Guild Wars and is based on pre-release information. Since the game is not yet available, this information is subject to change.
Please respect these policies:
Jormag, sometimes called "Dragon" by the Sons of Svanir, is an ice Elder Dragon. In 1165AE Jormag awoke in the Far Shiverpeaks, causing the kornak to flee the icy seas and battle the Norn inhabitants. Almost a century earlier, in 1078AE, the dragon had whispered promises of power to Svanir, brother to Jora, turned him into his first champion, a half-bear, half-Norn known as the Nornbear and robbed Jora of her ability to take on the bear-form. Since Svanir there has been a cult of Norn, known as the Sons of Svanir, worshipping the dragon as the strongest Spirit of the Wild
Once thought to be sleeping under Drakkar's Lake it has been officially revealed that this creature is actually one of Jormags lieutenants.
- The dragon found slumbering below the frozen waters of Drakkar Lake, known by players as Drakkar is not Jormag.
The origins of the name
- Drakkar's name is possibly derived from the Hebrew words Drakon (Dragon) and Kar (Cold) which are quite fitting, given the dragon is frozen underwater.
- Drake is the Middle English word for 'dragon', from the Anglo-Saxon word draca. All sound very much alike.
- Another feasible root of the name is the Viking word for 'longboat', Drakkar, which often were built in the shape of a dragon.
- Jormag may be a reference to Jörmungandr, the world serpent.
- A glow effect will appear on characters standing near its head.
- Some players with unsupported video cards do not see the frozen water effects over Drakkar which enables a clear view of it under the ice.
- You can clearly see Drakkar's body shape on the radar and the map.
Warning: The following text contains spoilers relating to the plot of Guild Wars Eye of the North.
- It is likely that it was Drakkar's Ancient Power that enveloped Jora and her brother, Svanir. Jora lost her ability to become the bear and Svanir was transformed into the Nornbear.