|This article is about the species. For the monster Hydra encountered in Ascalon, see Hydra (Ascalon). For the Hydra in the Crystal Desert, see Hydra (Crystal Desert).|
Hydras are reptilian, three-headed creatures, walking on two legs like some dinosaurs, with a long tail.
All breeds of Hydras in the game are powerful fire elementalists (with the exception of a few Hydra bosses). They can be found wielding some of the most devastating spells of fire such as Fireball, Phoenix and the dreaded Meteor and Meteor Shower. Hydras have thicker skin than the average elementalist enemy.
Hydras cannot be knocked down.
On the weakness side, keep in mind that Hydras ...
- are fleshy creatures.
- are susceptible to all conditions, incl. bleeding, poison and disease.
- leave a corpse behind.
- are not undead.
- use melee attacks, making skills such as Riposte useful against them
Hydras may drop the following loot (besides gold and various weapons and items):
Like most cold-blooded reptiles, Hydras are found in the warmer areas of Tyria, usually in areas far from civilization. They are found on the outskirts of Ascalon, in the barren Crystal Desert and the scorched Ring of Fire Islands.
|Ascalon||10 Hydra||Leathery Claw|
|Crystal Desert||22 Hydra||Dessicated Hydra Claw|
| Ring of Fire Islands,|
Fissure of Woe
|24 Mahgo Hydra||Mahgo Claw|
- Hydras appear to be inspired by the Lernaean Hydra of greek mythology, which is a multi-headed serpent beast.
- Hydra bosses are very unique. The names of all hydra bosses consist of three usually gutteral sounding words. In addition, Hydra bosses found in the Crystal Desert spawn in a multitude of explorable areas (similar to Maw the Mountain Heart), and have been known to have huge patrol routes.
- The three-word names of Hydra bosses may be a name for each head.
- Miniature Hydra is a white rarity mini that can be obtained from the first annual series of Birthday Presents.