The Dredge are a race of intelligent subterranean creatures that dwell deep below the ground in the Shiverpeak Mountains. They are humanoid in shape, but their heads are those of moles with tiny eyes and two large front teeth. They have a rather primitive civilization compared to their dwarven neighbors, although this may be a result of their enslavement.
Like many other species of the Shiverpeaks, the Dredge have been enslaved by the Stone Summit. They work in the mines of Sorrow's Furnace where their digging talents and comfort in the dark makes them superior to humans as work grunts. Some among the Dredge have surrendered to this, while others have resisted. The leader of the rebel movement trying to free the Dredge from slavery is Molachev.
Several of the Dredge managed to escape from Sorrow's Furnace, and flee to Cantha. They can mainly be found in the Echovald Forest. The initial dialog for the quest Envoy of the Dredge proves that the Dredge fled from Tyria to Cantha, and not the other way around, by digging a tunnel through the world. It is currently unknown where the entrances to the tunnel may be, or if it still even exists.
For a list of all types of Dredge, see Category:Dredge.
- The Dredge bear a strong resemblance to naked mole rats; particularly their snouts, teeth, and tiny eyes. The names of several Dredge NPCs are mole-related puns.
- Many Dredge and Dredge-related objects refer to Communism, specifically Communist Russia:
- The Dredge Manifesto is a reference to The Communist Manifesto.
- Molenin is a portmanteau of the words mole and Lenin; a reference to Vladimir Lenin, the founder of the Soviet Union.
- Molachev is a portmanteau of the words mole and Gorbachev; a reference to Mikhail Gorbachev, the last leader of the Soviet Union before it disbanded in 1991.
- During Dredging the Depths, Molenin uses the word moletariate; a portmanteau of the words mole and proletariat. This is a reference to the proletariat, one of the central concepts of Marxism.
- It is implied in The Movement of the World that the Dredge will be a major enemy in Guild Wars 2.
- Dredge Guardians resemble the 'Cone Head' enemy from Resident Evil (film+games)